As a part of the project Kunstnerbyen Skien, Skien commune has established an Artist in Residence-programme. The programme was started in 2006 and annually grants a professional artist housing, studio and NOK 155.000,- for a residency spanning 12 months in Skien. From the grant of NOK 155.000,-, the artist is awarded NOK 125.000,- and the remaining NOK 30.000,- is reserved for a public art project during the residency.
The apartment is located in the oldest remaining part of Skien – Snipetorp. The house is the last known place where Henrik Ibsen lived while in Skien. The apartment is fully furnished and consists of livingroom, bedroom, kitchen, bathrom and laundry. It is situated on the first floor and has a small garden. A bicycle is available.
Studio is located at Spriten Project Space approximately 1,5 km from the apartment at Snipetorp. The studio is approx. 50 square meters (3 meters height) with access from street level. The studio is sparcely equipped with working tables, sink and wi-fi.
The artist must commit to make use of apartment/studio for the entire timespan of the residency. Travel to and from home/country is to be payed by the artist.
The residency is open for all professional artists with a membership in relevant national artists membership organizations, or with a completed art degree (BA/MA).
The application for residency should include CV, examples of artistic work (preferrably presented digitally) and a written statement.
The residency is announced annually with application deadline August 31st. No application form.
Applications should be adressed to:
Skien kommune v/Kulturavdelingen
Or by e-mail: email@example.com (please note we do not accept ZIP-files)
For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2017: Cecilia Hultman – visual artist
- 2016: Victoria Durnak – writer & visual artist
- 2015: Anna Ihle – visual artist
- 2014: Malmfrid Hovsveen Hallum – dramatist & writer
- 2013: Mette Karlsvik – novelist & writer
- 2011/12: Josefine Lyche og Henrik Pask – visual artists
- 2010/11: Shwan dler Qaradaki – visual artist
- 2009/10: Kate Pendry – dramatist
- 2008/09: Samuel Olou – visual artist
- 2007/08: Walid al-Kubaisi – writer
- 2006/07: Jan Christensen – visual artist